Saturday, September 14, 2013

Coati Coffee



Kopi Lurwak is hitting the news again after a BBC investigation into cruel factory farming of the Palm Civet Paradoxurus spcs. I will admit to having drunk the brew before (read here) but at the time believed that the poo processed coffee beans had been collected beneath the bushes in the coffee plantations. The most expensive coffee in the world! Mind you it was a lot cheaper when I bought it.

Only it isn't the most expensive any more. The beans for that brew originate in Peru after having passed through the digestive system of the Peruvian Civet. This is 'Terra Nera' the New most expensive coffee in the world. Something to be tried no doubt if I could find a cheaper blend. I am a big fan of coffee and of trying unusual foods and beverages.

What puzzled me was that I was unfamiliar with the existence of a Palm Civet in Peru, or South America for that matter. Introduced perhaps? So I did a bit of research. It turns out that it isn't a Palm Civet at all. These beans have passed through a Coati, Nasua nasua. So if you can get hold of your own raw beans you will be able to start making the stuff in your zoo.

I suppose it is only a matter of time before somebody starts factory farming the Coati. Where there is a market the unscrupulous will always try to meet it.

Elephants may a bit more difficult. (see Elephant Aphrodisiac)


Zoo News Digest 1st - 13th September 2013 (ZooNews 874)
AZA, ZAA, BIAZA, Penguin Conference, South Lakes,Australia Zoo, Panda Poo and more




No comments:

Post a Comment